Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 16:12:57 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> It sounds more confusing for the user to have two variables which are `the
> same but different' like that.  I think we should be trying to make customize
> _more_ of a thin UI layer on top of existing mechanisms, not less.

On the one hand, it's a big task to convert all of the places where
variables are used.

On the one hand, it's easier to understand one variable than two.

On the other hand, if you have a list of items and loading a package
adds items to the list and Customize also adds items to the list, then
the time when the package is loaded influences the order of items on
the list, which might lead to subtle problems.  This would be avoided
if the Customize stuff was always searched first (because it's in an
extra variable).

IMHO, there are merits and demerits to either approach.  I'm sure it
is possible to argue for a long time which approach is the right
approach.  But one approach must be chosen, and that must be
implemented.  I think a "compromise" does not make sense in this
situation.  Therefore I propose that a decision be made on what shall
be done, and then both camps can start to work on it, knowing that at
least the second-best solution has been chosen, and the horrible
alternative has been avoided :-)

kai