Re: INFO on add-ons

From: David A. Cobb
Subject: Re: INFO on add-ons
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 18:23:00 -0400

Robert J. Chassell wrote:

   >Sure.  But we can't require Info pages, especially as rms has
>pronounced against it. > Ugh! What's the 'in' thing now? Didn't the GNU project /invent/ Info?
The GNU Project centered on Texinfo, which is a markup language that
enables you to generate from a single source file, output files for:

   Info        for efficient online help

   DVI         (or PostScript or PDF or ...)  for nicely typeset, hard
               copy printing

   HTML        for Web pages

   DocBook     for DocBook

   Plain text  for those who want that.

Please, do not write an Info file; write a Texinfo file instead.

Yeah, I pretty much knew that. But I think you're talking about the difference between what an author writes and what we distribute. I agree, the contribtor guides should explicitly show how to build the documentation, what templates, etc. [like @copying] So, yes, I was unclear. Small parity error in cerebrum.
--

David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way