Re: INFO on add-ons

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: INFO on add-ons
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 09:34:35 -0400

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 03:20:05PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Sure, but since the `automatic' step I was talking was transforming
> > doc-strings/comments -> info nodes, embedding such commands would avoid
> > the problem of automatic index generation.
>
> Yes, but that means we need to go over all the doc strings and add the
> indexing commands.  A lot of work.

It hardly matters -- for commands that are not already documented in info, it
would have to be done anyway, and would be no more work that doing the same
for a texinfo doc.  For commands tha _are_ documented we've already got a
source of indexing information: the info docs!

[but since I'm talking about this in the context of producing documentation
for currently undocumented code, I presume mostly it would be the former]

In any case, I think you're overemphasizing the importance and difficulty of
indexing just a wee bit; after all, programming reference documentation is
different in many ways than documents in general (it's much more regular, for
one thing), and the _most_ important index entries (the commands and
functions being documented) probably _can_ be generated automatically.

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.