Re: INFO on add-ons

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: INFO on add-ons
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 00:40:15 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> writes:
>> Only if doc strings and commentaries (readable via package finder in
>> Emacs, perhaps there needs to be a better interface?) fail, should we
>> need to write Info.  As I said this is for newbies, and pulling stuff
>> together.
>
> I use doc-strings more often in my daily work, but I think info files
> are very useful for getting a broader view of a package.  I don't think
> we should avoid writing manual entries just because there are
> doc-strings

Totally correct.  That is what I meant by "pulling stuff" together.
The idea of writing a texinfo page for every package, however, is
overkill.  We only need a texinfo page when a broader view of a
package is required.  In sql.el, for example, there is a sql-help
defun, and all the entry points have enough information to get you
started.  And it is not so complex as to merit a manual.

I am not saying a manual is useless.  I am saying that requiring a
manual at all times is useless.

Alex.