Re: Bugs caused by recent use of define-derived-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bugs caused by recent use of define-derived-mode
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 12:07:47 -0400

>     > One idea for how to fix the abbrev-table bugs is to modify
>     > define-derived-mode to accept some optional keywords as arguments
>     > before the body.  :same-abbrev-table could mean to use the parent's
>     > abbrev table unmodified, and :same-syntax-table would do likewise for
>     > the syntax table.
>
>     That's something we need indeed.  I for one would need/want a :group
>     argument as well.
>
> Would you like to implement them?

Sure.  Will try to find some time soonish.

> (What would :group do?)

Declare that this mode's behavior is related to the cutsom group
GROUP, so you can have a "customize major mode" entry in your
global menu-bar, for example (I have such a thing in my .emacs
and it uses various heuristics to find the group.  But the heuristics
only work 80% of the time).
Or you can add a `customize this major mode' button to `C-h m's output.

        Stefan