Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 13:36:13 -0400

> > Generally I feel like taking the pragmatic approach:  Let us use the
> > solution that fits 80% of the problems.  This will give us users, and
> > these will in turn contribute to hopefully fix the remaining problems.
>
> Since two keymaps 100% solution is not an option, I believe we should
> just use your code as is.  We might get a 90% solution by various
> hacks, but I think this would just make the rules more confusing.
>
> With your code, the rules are simle:  If you change a keymap with
> customize, all other changes are lost.

This doesn't have to be the case.  The custom info can simply
keep track of "what the user added with custom" and "what the user
removed with custom" and custom-set-variable would simply take the
current map and add/remove the corresponding entries.
So changes made outside of custom would only be clobbered if they
conflict, which I think is not too confusing and even somewhat
intuitive.
I don't think creating a whole new map is a good idea anyway
since the map might already be used somewhere and updating the
variable will not update the already active major-mode maps.

        Stefan