Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 09:45:03 +0200

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> This doesn't have to be the case.  The custom info can simply
> keep track of "what the user added with custom" and "what the user
> removed with custom" and custom-set-variable would simply take the
> current map and add/remove the corresponding entries.
> So changes made outside of custom would only be clobbered if they
> conflict, which I think is not too confusing and even somewhat
> intuitive.

I think we do not have to worry about the default keybindings a user
might want to remove.  Adding key bindings should be enough.  The way
I see it, we can write code that allows the user to add bindings, and
remove them.  The only problem is that when a user does that, the old
(default) binding of a key will not reappear.  It will reappear the
next time Emacs gets started, but not during the current session.  Hm.
Unless we save the old binding somewhere.  I will try to write
something that does this.

> I don't think creating a whole new map is a good idea anyway
> since the map might already be used somewhere and updating the
> variable will not update the already active major-mode maps.

I would like that, too -- and without modifying define-key and
friends.

Alex.