Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 09:57:38 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
> I don't know why the IPA, Korean, Vietnamese, Indian, Arabic and
> Ethiopic character sets exist in the Unicode branch.  I thought the
> plan was to unify everything into Unicode except Han characters.

> Handa, has that plan been changed?  Is there a reason why these should
> not or cannot be unified?  Have you not finished unifying them?

Each charset has different reason.

IPA: Some characters are not in Unicode.
Korean: It contains Chinese characters too.  But, by
        default, it is unified with Unicode.
                (unify-charset 'korean-ksc5601 nil 'deunify)
        will cancel the unification.
Vietnames: Simply because not yet worked on.
Indian: Glyph characters (i.e. what appear only in
        composition) are not in Unicode:
Arabic: Simply because not yet worked on.

By the way, as I must prepare my presentation at GNU/Linux
conference held in Japan next week, I won't be able to work
on Emacs this week.  I'll keep on reading mails, but please
don't expect a prompt response.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden