Re: address@hidden: Poor performance over DSL link]

From: Marc Levoy
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Poor performance over DSL link]
Date: 9 Sep 2002 02:12:39 -0700

Kim (and Richard),

Thanks for the quick response.  I had already seen those suggestions (turning
off XIM, and disabling scroll bars, the menu bar, and the tool bar) on a web
page.  I tried all except turning off XIM, and it didn't help.

As it happens, I finally realized (by watching the rhythm of the traffic)
that Emacs 21's software blinking cursor was causing the traffic.  I disabled
it using:

        (if (fboundp 'blink-cursor-mode)
                (blink-cursor-mode -1))

and the extra traffic disappeared.  You might suggest this tweak to people
with DSL (or slower) links.

-Marc