Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 09:43:48 -0400

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 01:02:45AM +0200, Kim F. Storm wrote:
> I would like to change that so if an error occurs while defining a
> macro, emacs will query the user whether he wants to continue adding
> to the macro, end and save it, or discard it.   WDYT?

That sounds like a good idea; unintentional errors are one of the most
annoying things about defining macros.

Some points:

  * Since the command that that caused the error will likely do the same
    thing when actually executing the macro, it seems like it would be useful
    to somehow remove the last command (which caused the error) from the
    macro.  However, I'm not sure whether this could be always be done
    without mucking things up -- for commands which always signal an error
    before causing any side-effects, it seems like it would be safe though.

  * A three-way choice seems unnecessary, since the user can easily end the
    macro himself; it would be simpler to just ask `Error occured; ignore
    last command? (y or n)' or something similar.

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.