Re: Customizing key bindings (was: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Customizing key bindings (was: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..)
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 09:53:31 -0400

> If you want to make configuration easy to the end-users, you need to
> start with their needs, and not with the old textual configuration
> files.  It is one area where MS Windows and Mac programmers tend to be
> better than Unix programmers.

But I (as a programmer-style user) simply hate those interfaces because
I have no way to relate them to the real underlying concepts so that
I end up forced to use the "user-friendly" interface all the time,
with all its limitations.

If that's what Emacs will turn into, then I'll switch to something
else (or will keep on using an old version or something).
After all, Emacs is AFAIK a text-editor with a strong "programmer" user
base and it doesn't make sense to alienate this user-base in order to
try and attract people whose only editing needs are for email messages.

        Stefan