Re: Bugs caused by recent use of define-derived-mode

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Bugs caused by recent use of define-derived-mode
Date: 09 Sep 2002 17:25:58 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Can't users just create their own local abbrev table in the mode hook (which
> define-derived-mode will make sure the command supports!)?
>
> If it's simple to do that, then we really needn't do anything at all...

That's one (non-interactive) approach.

What about the following approach?

Suppose emacs doesn't have any mode-specific abbrev tables by default, but
just a "fundamental-abbrev-table" for every mode and buffer to use.

Then we could provide a new user command, e.g.
`abbrev-define-mode-specific-abbrev-table', (also available via
customize?)  which creates a mode-specific abbrev table for the
mode(s) of the current buffer [prompt for which of the active modes to
use, suggesting the major mode as the default], and then prompt for
which of the existing abbrev tables to use as the "parent" abbrev
table [or none].

Then we leave it completely up to the user which abbrev tables he needs
and how to tie them together...