Re: Customizing key bindings (was: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Customizing key bindings (was: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..)
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 19:33:37 -0400

    > It would be better to generate a defvar plus whatever other stuff
    > you need.

    I prefer doing most of the work in functions rather than macros,
    because if we change defkeymap in Emacs version X+1, then packages
    compiled by the user in Emacs version X will call the new function,
    and thus continue to work.  I had a lot of such problems with
    easymenu.el.

defvar does a number of things, and eval-defun-1 handles it specially,
so please do generate a defvar.  It is ok to do the rest with a
single function call.