Re: Bugs caused by recent use of define-derived-mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Bugs caused by recent use of define-derived-mode
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 19:33:52 -0400

It seems to me that we should change define-derived-mode to either create
a new empty abbrev table or use the parent's abbrev table.  Then we should
make each call do the right one.

    However, is all the mechanism you suggested necessary?
    Can't users just create their own local abbrev table in the mode hook (which
    define-derived-mode will make sure the command supports!)?

Yes, they can--so we need not add any features to cater to the
minority who would like a separate abbrev table in Mail mode.