Re: Bugs caused by recent use of define-derived-mode

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Bugs caused by recent use of define-derived-mode
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 19:12:16 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   It seems to me that we should change define-derived-mode to either create
   a new empty abbrev table or use the parent's abbrev table.  Then we should
   make each call do the right one.

I completely agree.  This change removes one of the main motivations
for my proposed feature, namely dealing with the bugs and user
inconveniences caused by the copying mechanism of define-derived-mode.
Eliminating the copying mechanism will eliminate all bugs and
inconveniences without any work, other than a minor change (actually a
simplification) to define-derived-mode.

I agree that, after this change, there is no longer sufficient
motivation for my proposed feature to justify the work involved.

Sincerely,

Luc.