Re: address@hidden: fonts on terminal?]

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: address@hidden: fonts on terminal?]
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 05:53:40 +0200

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 12:42:46PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> > Is there interest in supporting alternative (italics, bold)
> > faces for font lock mode in emacs, and would it be easy for you to add it?
>
> I think it would be very easy to add to emacs.
>
> [though I'm not sure why the reference to font-lock -- font-lock
> naturally already supports those things, it's just that terminals don't]

Yeah, I am sorry, that sentence was never spelled out in its entirety.  It
should say: "supporting alternative (italics, bold) faces for font lock mode
in the term bottom handler of emacs", ie the part that translates abstract
descriptions to actual terminal escape sequences to produce the corresponding
face.

I am not familiar with the internals of emacs, though, so all I can do is
describe the outside of the process, and pick it up in the console
implementation where emacs emits sitm,ritm and other new escape sequences.

Thanks,
Marcus

address@hidden
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/