Re: address@hidden: Poor performance over DSL link]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Poor performance over DSL link]
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:41:22 -0400

    IIRC, it had to do with allocating colors (or pixels?) in the X
    server, updating [tiny parts of the display], and then deallocating
    the colors - and doing that over and over for every tiny update.

Can anyone identify which parts of the code in Emacs do this?

    I discussed ways to cache this information with Gerd, but it was
    non-trivial because different X-servers had different number of
    available colors/pixels, so it seemed to be difficult to do in a
    general way.

I am sure it must be possible.  Since this seems to be causing a
significant annoyance for users, I think we should talk about it here.