Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Steven T. Hatton
Subject: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 02:20:34 -0400

I've been using XEmacs for several years now, but I'm finding there are a few
features in (GNU) Emacs which I'm not finding in XEmacs.  I therefore wanted
to take a look at the latest cvs snapshot.  I did what I consider a normal
cvs checkout:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

Whic was my best guess on the basis of the http://savana.gnu.org site.  I
attempted to ./configure && make. This resulted in a message saying:
Essential Lisp files seem to be missing.  You should either
do `make bootstrap' or create `lisp/abbrev.elc' somehow.

'make bootstrap' puked on info/tramp:

cd /download/org/gnu/emacs/emacs/man; makeinfo tramp.texi
tramp.texi:25: Unknown command `copying'.
tramp.texi:50: Unmatched address@hidden'.
makeinfo: Removing output file `../info/tramp' due to errors; use --force to
preserve.
make[1]: *** [../info/tramp] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/download/org/gnu/emacs/emacs/man'
make: *** [info] Error 2

I then downloaded the latest stable tarball and that ./configured and made
like a charm.  I'm sure I could snag the `lisp/abbrev.elc' from that build,
but seems a whole lot like cheating.  Is the current cvs image makeable?

STH