Re: CVS leim tit files

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CVS leim tit files
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 07:02:22 -0400

> > From: Karl Chen <address@hidden>
> > Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 15:45:58 -0700 (PDT)
> >
> > The leim/CXTERM-DIC/*.tit files should be marked as binary (cvs admin -kb)
>
> That would lose many useful CVS features which are available only
> with text files (such as "cvs annotate", "cvs diff", etc.).

I don't know where you got this idea, but it is wrong.  Try it for
yourself on the loaddefs.el file which has been marked as -kb.
What it does is that it prevents automatic merging (and it also prevents
keyword expansion and line-end conversion).
If those files are manually updated, then I'd agree that -kb is a bad
idea since automatic merging is rather useful.

> > because I can't compile them on Cygwin where cvs translates "text" files'
> > newlines.
>
> I suggest to solve that on the Cygwin level.  The whole text/binary
> nuisance is a Windows/Cygwin problem whose solution shouldn't IMHO
> affect users of other platforms.

I wouldn't trust the cygwin people to solve this problem, so maybe
we should investigate to see why the eol convention used in those files
matters at all.

        Stefan