Re: CVS leim tit files

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CVS leim tit files
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:18:44 -0400

> > > That would lose many useful CVS features which are available only
> > > with text files (such as "cvs annotate", "cvs diff", etc.).
> > I don't know where you got this idea
>
> From the CVS manual.  It only talks about "cvs diff", but I recall that
> RCS had problems with line-oriented info, so I assumed annotate would
> lose as well.  Sorry if I was wrong.

I assume you mean "with non-line-oriented info".
The problem is not that it doesn't work, but that it still assumes
that lines are a meaningful unit, which is not the case for gzipped files
for example, so the result will be poor (tho correct).
But as long as the file is line-oriented, `cvs diff'
and `cvs annotate' work just fine whether or not you use -kb.

> I didn't mean that Cygwin maintainers should do that.  I meant that the
> solution should be specific to Cygwin, either in the Emacs code or in the
> way the Cygwin port of the CVS client is set up, or maybe even in the way
> filesystems are ``mounted'' by Cygwin on the user's machine.

Sorry, I indeed misunderstood you.

        Stefan