problem of define-minor-mode while bootstrapping

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: problem of define-minor-mode while bootstrapping
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:20:53 +0900 (JST)

The conference was over, and I re-started to work on
utf-8.el, ucs-tables.el, etc. of RC.

Dave Love <address@hidden> writes:

>>     > Yes.  But, that mode is on by default in RC too.
>>
>>     Gosh.  However, it appears to be done wrongly.  Custom will show it
>>     isn't on, and would turn it off if you tried to turn it on.  Surely if
>>     it's preloaded and meant to be the default, the defcustom initial
>>     value should just be changed.
>>
>> That sounds right to me.  Can you send a patch?

>I should have said `define-minor-mode', not defcustom.  Just change
>:init-value nil to t and take out the function call from loadup.

I agree that is the right thing, but I found that if both
:global and :init-value are t, define-minor-mode doesn't
work while bootstrapping.

In that case, define-minor-mode calls eval-after-load, and
it calls load-symbol-file-load-history, and it tries to load
fns-XXX.el.  But, at bootstrapping time, fns-XXX.el is not
yet created.

Here's the last few lines of define-minor-mode.

       ;; If the mode is global, call the function according to the default.
       ,(if globalp
            `(if (and load-file-name ,mode)
                 (eval-after-load load-file-name '(,mode 1)))))))

Could someone please fix this problem at first?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden