Re: dired uses wrong `ls' switches for Tramp

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: dired uses wrong `ls' switches for Tramp
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 19:29:23 +0200

>     Tramp can just run "ls --dired" and see if ls complains.
>
> If that works well, please do it.
>
> It is easy to see if --dired is in the ls options
> since it would always be at the beginning.
> (It's not reasonable for the user to specify that option;
> it should only come from dired-insert-directory,
> since dired-insert-directory has to know about it and parse
> the extra output.)

Okay.  So I think that the following is my todo list:

* Change ange-ftp-insert-directory to remove the "--dired" option, if
  present.

* Change Tramp to see if the remote ls groks "--dired".  Depending on
  the outcome, tramp-handle-insert-directory removes the option or
  leaves it in.

* Change dired-insert-directory to always pass "--dired" for remote
  files.  (It could depend on dired-use-ls-dired, but that wouldn't
  make sense.)

If nobody objects, I'll do that as soon as I have time.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)