Re: cvs new-dir Need-Update

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: cvs new-dir Need-Update
Date: 23 Sep 2002 09:29:41 -0400

> * In message <address@hidden>
> * On the subject of "Re: cvs new-dir Need-Update "
> * Sent on Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:49:51 -0400
> * Honorable "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
>
> > > PS: In earlier versions of PCL-CVS those messages were not turned into
> > >     `Need-Update' but into mere informational messages.  Such messages
> > >     are less annoying in your case, but `Need-Update' is the right
> > >     thing to do in the case of a true new directory.
> > >     The only solution I can think of is to make it a user-option,
> > >     which is rather a cop-out.
> >
> > CVS/Entries.Log contains the list of deleted directories.
> > Maybe you could use it to filter out this junk altogether?
>
> Hmm... that would be awesome, but I can't find any such file here.
>
> work/emacs-1% echo **/CVS/Entries.*
> zsh: no match
> work/emacs-1%
>
> And CVS' info page indicates that Entries.Log is transient
> and only used to deal with failure-during-update.

ouch.

maybe you could report this as a bug to the CVS maintainers?
maybe you could even patch the cvs client to respect -P with -n?

Emacs is a sufficiently important application for the CVS people to
accommodate us.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>