Re: cvs new-dir Need-Update

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: cvs new-dir Need-Update
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:06:10 -0400

> > > CVS/Entries.Log contains the list of deleted directories.
> > > Maybe you could use it to filter out this junk altogether?
> >
> > Hmm... that would be awesome, but I can't find any such file here.
> >
> > work/emacs-1% echo **/CVS/Entries.*
> > zsh: no match
> > work/emacs-1%
> >
> > And CVS' info page indicates that Entries.Log is transient
> > and only used to deal with failure-during-update.
>
> ouch.
>
> maybe you could report this as a bug to the CVS maintainers?
> maybe you could even patch the cvs client to respect -P with -n?

It's a known bug.  Feel free to try and fix it but:
1 - it's not trivial to fix.
2 - CVS maintainers don't take patches very gladly in my experience.
    At least I had trouble getting them to cooperate into bringing my
    patches to a good enough state.

I.e. I have better things to do.

> Emacs is a sufficiently important application for the CVS people to
> accommodate us.

They may very well disagree,

        Stefan