Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes
Date: 25 Sep 2002 23:39:35 +0100

> I agree.  The change to Unicode will be big news and announced in many
> ways.

If it's something the user needs to care about modulo some things
working better than before, it's a serious problem.  I don't think
there is such a problem.

> For now, the question is whether this particular consequence is
> inevitable.  Is it something we must accept, or something we can
> fix?

We've already said that encoding currently not being the almost-exact
inverse of decoding is something that will be fixed when someone gets
round to it.

I think people shouldn't worry about these issues unless they
understand the current implementation enough to hack on it and get it
to a state where users can test how it works in practice.

> I don't think this is a serious problem.  Things use
> buffer-substring-no-properties when they are going to do computation
> on the text, or use it as a command, etc.  Programs that move text
> around do not discard the text properties.

That isn't generally true.  I mentioned it because I've installed code
like that myself in the past.