Emacs Mule Devanagari support quite possibly broken

From: Arun A Tharuvai
Subject: Emacs Mule Devanagari support quite possibly broken
Date: 28 Sep 2002 15:43:31 -0400

I noticed that the devanagari script support was rewritten sometime
after the release of Emacs 21.2, and that the current cvs version uses
CDAC fonts instead of the muleindian encoded fonts that come with
intlfonts. However, none of the fonts that I've been able to find
online, that are labelled as CDAC fonts (which by inspection don't
appear to have a single encoding), are available under a free license,

Attempting to test with these fonts, I've found that all of the
devanagari input methods merely output blank characters, and as such,

Assuming that you have all the intlfonts-1.2 fonts in your X fontpath,
and that you are running emacs 21.2, then set the input method to
devanagari-itrans, and enter in the following text
merA nAm aruN hai

and you should get output similar to that in the following image

http://web.mit.edu/aatharuv/www/devanagari-working.jpg

However, in the CVS emacs, just blank space shows up. Is this a bug,
or is this just a font issue?

Arun A Tharuvai