Re: Emacs Mule Devanagari support quite possibly broken

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Emacs Mule Devanagari support quite possibly broken
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:24:02 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Arun A Tharuvai <address@hidden> writes:
> I noticed that the devanagari script support was rewritten sometime
> after the release of Emacs 21.2, and that the current cvs version uses
> CDAC fonts instead of the muleindian encoded fonts that come with
> intlfonts. However, none of the fonts that I've been able to find
> online, that are labelled as CDAC fonts (which by inspection don't
> appear to have a single encoding), are available under a free license,

As far as I remember, Kawabata-san got a permission to use
it freely.  Kawabata-san, could you please desciribe the
precise status of the permission?

> Attempting to test with these fonts, I've found that all of the
> devanagari input methods merely output blank characters, and as such,

I've just added the following paragraphs in the section "*
Extra fonts" of the file INSTALL, which I long ago received
but forgot to install, sorry.  Could you please try it?

If your X server for X font server supports TrueType fonts,
you can directly use the downloaded fonts (without
converting them to PCF as below).  But, in that case, you
must give "Devanagari-CDAC" to the CHARSET_REGISTRY and
CHARSET_ENCODING field of the devanagari font.

The new Indian implementation uses the ISFOC standard fonts.  We use
CDAC ISFOC fonts to display the Devanagari script in Emacs.  They are
copyrighted, but we received permission to use them in Emacs from the
font developers.  These fonts can be obtained from the internet, or
may be found in C-DAC products (including downloadable ones).  For
examle, you can search the CDAC Devanagari font `dvsr0ntt.ttf' by
using some search engines and they will guide you to appropriate URLs
to obtain them.

After you've downloaded the fonts, then run the following Makefile
to create the appropriate BDF/PCF fonts.  (You will need `ttf2bdf',
equipped with freetype 1, to create BDF file.)

TTFS=   asdr0ntt.ttf:Assamese\
        bndr0ntt.ttf:Bengali\
        dvsr0ntt.ttf:Devanagari\
        gjav0ntt.ttf:Gujarati\
        knum0ntt.ttf:Kannada\
        mlkr0ntt.ttf:Malayalam\
        orsr0ntt.ttf:Oriya\
        pnam0ntt.ttf:Punjabi\
        sdsr0ntt.ttf:Sanskrit\
        tlhm0ntt.ttf:Telugu\
        tmvl0ntt.ttf:Tamil

all:
        for f in ${TTFS}; do \
          ttf=`echo $$f | sed 's/:.*$$//'`; \
          reg=`echo $$f | sed 's/[^:]*://'`; \
          base=`basename $$ttf .ttf`; \
          echo Converting "$$ttf to $$base-XX.bdf/pcf with registry $$reg"; \
          for i in 16 24; do \
            ttf2bdf -p $${i} -r 100 -l 0_255 $$ttf > temp; \
            sed "/^FONT /s/ISO10646-1/$$reg-CDAC/" <temp >$$base-$$i.bdf; \
            bdftopcf $$base-$$i.bdf > $$base-$$i.pcf; \
          done; \
        done
        rm -f temp

clean: