Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 21:16:25 +0300

> Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:13:42 -0400
> From: address@hidden (Karl Berry)
>
>     the order of the
>     directories in the search path might have nothing to do with dir files,
>
> I wasn't proposing using the search path (PATH).  I was proposing the
> dir path (INFOPATH / Info-directory-list).

I'm sorry for inaccuerate wording.  I was also talking about INFOPATH
(or its Emacs equivalent).

>     So we could be left with a wrong section.
>
> By `section' do you mean dircategory?

No, I mean the @direntry menu entries.  That is, selecting the entries
from the DIR file found in the first directory on INFOPATH might leave
us with wrong entries.

> 1) if direntry A has the same (filename)nodename as direntry B,
> 2) and A and B have the same dircategory,
> 3) then include whichever of A and B belongs to the dir file earlier in
>    the dir path.
>
> I don't think any real information can be lost by this algorithm

The text after (filename)nodename might be different, as well as the
menu entry name:

 * Foo: (foo)bar.     The GNU Foo program.

vs

 * Foobar: (foo)bar.  The One and Only GNU FooBar program.

(Not that this is crucial, but still...)