Re: Keymap customization

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Keymap customization
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 11:30:32 +0200

>     1. The defkeymap should generate a defvar.
>
>     2. The generation of new prefix keys is not supported.
>
>     3. We really should use a two-keymap solution in define-key.
>
>     Fixing #3 would also fix #2.
>
>     I am willing to solve #1 if that mean I can commit the code to the
>     Emacs CVS.  I'll also think about #2 then.
>
> Don't bother with doing #2 using the current data format, since #3
> will take care of it.
>
> Is anyone interested in doing #3 now?

Nobody seems to volunteer.

So do we give up, or use Alex' implementation?

As I said, I believe Alex' implementation will be forward compatible
with a define-key based solution, and I also believe this will be the
most important single improvement for ordinary users since Emacs 21.1,
so I believe we should go ahead with Alex' code.