Re: while-no-input

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: while-no-input
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 17:43:33 -0400

> It is a general principle that to avoid using abnormal
> condition handling for programmed control flow.
> I think it is very unclean to treat ordinary input
> like a quit and then distinguish them later.
> So I don't think we should add this mechanism.
>
> It is easy enough to do the job using input-pending-p.
> You can use
>
>   (catch 'input
>     (...
>       (if (input-pending-p) (throw 'input nil))
>       ...))
>
> if you want to avoid testing input-pending-p at various
> levels in the code.

That is not very useful if inside this body you use library
functions that take a long time to complete, such as file-operations
that dispatch to ange-ftp: you'd have to sprinkle (if (input-pending-p)
(throw 'input nil)) all over the ange-ftp code, just to help some
unrelated package like icomplete.

        Stefan