Re: Program-specified positions ignored?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Program-specified positions ignored?
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 12:01:39 -0400

>     > > I am pretty sure that the reason for this is that including
>     > > program-specified positions in XtNgeometry would override the window
>     > > manager, which is wrong.  But if that is the wrong way to pass the
>     > > program-specified positions to Xt, what is the right way?
>
>     A comment on the problem that started this, should not Emacs consider
>     positions and sizes specified in .emacs as user specified?
>
> There are arguments both ways, but I think the better choice is
> not to do so.

Why is that ?
Every call to `make-frame' can use a different set of size/position
parameters, so it is clearly more specific than Xresource settings.
I think more-specific should imply higher-priority.

Similarly, I believe that custom face settings take precedence over
Xresource face settings, or am I confused ?

        Stefan