Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 22:51:29 +0300

> From: Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 12:05:30 +0200
>
> Thus I cannot view the Emacs manual coming with
> the system (21.2) and the one I installed on my own (21.3.50 in
> /usr/local/...) at the same time easily.

Being able to install several different versions of the same package
and get the right manual with each one of them is a separate problem,
not yet solved in the current Texinfo setup and code.  It is a hard
problem, since manuals include references to other manuals, and so
there could be dependencies between different versions of different
packages.  Whether DIR entries are or aren't merged is not going to
solve this.

The problem we were discussing in this thread is much narrower and
easier to solve.