Re: Program-specified positions ignored?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Program-specified positions ignored?
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 12:33:19 -0400

    >     A comment on the problem that started this, should not Emacs consider
    >     positions and sizes specified in .emacs as user specified?
    >
    > There are arguments both ways, but I think the better choice is
    > not to do so.

    Why is that ?

Because "user specified" positions means positions specified for a
single session by the user.  Defaults specified in configuration files
are not "user specified".

    Every call to `make-frame' can use a different set of size/position
    parameters, so it is clearly more specific than Xresource settings.

That is true but I don't think it relates to the question.  If you
call `make-frame', your arguments can say that the positions are "user
specified".  You can label th evalues either way you wish.