Re: Xft support (freetype, anti-aliasing) in X11 emacs

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Xft support (freetype, anti-aliasing) in X11 emacs
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 01:44:43 +0200 (CEST)

> > If you say so, I haven't looked at Xft2.  I don't even like
> > antialiased fonts, they make my eyes hurt :-)
>
> Please explain.  Recent FreeType versions (used in Xft2) support
> various hinting modes.

It is not specific to Xft2, it is anti-aliased fonts in general.  For
example, I can not work with MaxOSX 10.2 more than an hour at a time.
I tried to change the settings for antialias, but it had no effect.
I am seriously considering reverting to 10.1.
I have the same problem with KDE anti aliasing, so I turn it off.

To me anti aliased fonts don't look smoother, they just look out of focus.
My stupid eyes tries to focus, but to no avail, since the "out of focus"
isn't really real.  I get a headache instead.

It isn't monitors either, I tried 5 different monitors.  CRT is a bit
better than TFT here.  So my interest in Xft and anti aliased text is
pretty low.

        Jan D.