Re: [patch] cache color info for remote X sessions [Was: Emacs 21/X11 ge

From: Ami Fischman
Subject: Re: [patch] cache color info for remote X sessions [Was: Emacs 21/X11 generating unbelieveable network traffic]
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 13:22:05 -0700

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

> Talking about pango, they have a font cache for X11 fonts in their X11
> specific code.  May be worthwhile to check out.

Checked it out.  The way pango does it is by only caching the pointer to
the returned XFontStruct, and maintaining a reference count for each
structure (in order to handle the freeing of these structures later).  That
could work here as well, if we wrap the XFree.*Font.* calls as well.

However, my cursory tracing/sniffing seems to indicate that not that many
packets get wasted on redundant calls to the font functions, so I'm not
sure this is worth doing.

--
  Ami Fischman
  address@hidden