Re: Rmail changes for Emacs 22

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Rmail changes for Emacs 22
Date: 15 Oct 2002 18:40:23 +0100

> Does Emacs 22 mean the Unicode Emacs?

Yes.  Is that not a policy decision?

> My understanding is that no-conversion still means "use the internal
> multibyte rep", but since the internal rep of most characters has
> changed, the actual file contents will be different.  Are you saying
> the same thing?

Yes.

> Is there any way to read a file into the Unicode Emacs
> that was written using no-conversion in the current Emacs?

Yes.  That's what that change is for.  Do you mean it doesn't work?

> Which branch is this change proposed for?  The Unicode Emacs branch?

Yes.

> The RC branch?

No.

> The current HEAD?

I'm not sure.

> Please note that a major change in Rmail is being developed:
> we are going to eliminate Babyl format and use Inbox format.

I hope `eliminate' doesn't mean you won't be able to read it any more.
If you won't be able to write it, then you can eliminate the part of
the change which updates the Babyl version, but you may need to make
similar changes to whatever you end up with.  How will the mbox file
encoding be treated?

> I expect this to be installed by the time the Unicode branch
> is ready for release.

As for Emacs 21? :-/