Re: Emacs server without emacsserver.

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: Emacs server without emacsserver.
Date: 20 Oct 2002 18:51:06 -0400

> * In message <address@hidden>
> * On the subject of "Re: Emacs server without emacsserver. "
> * Sent on Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:57:29 -0400
> * Honorable "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I have a question about `server-switch-buffer'.
> > most of it
> > (after ";; OK, we know next-buffer is live, let's display and select it.")
> > is just `pop-to-buffer' modified to support `server-window' and avoid
> > at all costs creating a new frame (I am being sloppy here, I know).
>
> I know what you mean, since it's exactly what I use ;-)
> Most of the fixes I've installed recently have been made to help
> in this kind of situation.  Right now, I get more-or-less the behavior
> I want with the following customization:
>
> (defun sm-server-visit-hook () (pop-to-buffer (current-buffer)))
> (add-hook 'server-visit-hook 'sm-server-visit-hook)
>
> I've been reluctant to change the default behavior because of the
> effort to justify it.  But I do hope we can provide a cutomization
> that would be eaiser than my hook while providing the same kind of
> behavior.

the "offending code" (after ";; Ok, ...") should be abstracted to the
function `server-switch-buffer-default' of one argument (the buffer to
be displayed), and `server-switch-buffer' should call the function
which is the value of the variable `server-display-function', which is
by default set to `server-switch-buffer-default'.

You and I will set `server-display-function' to `pop-to-buffer' and
people who like the default will keep the default.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat8 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>