RE: checkdoc (was: mh-e 6.2 imminent)

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: RE: checkdoc (was: mh-e 6.2 imminent)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:52:13 -0400

Hi,

  Every suggestion from the Emacs Lisp reference manual that could be
easily tested, and auto-fixed was put into checkdoc.  This has oft
provided contention over if the tests were good or bad.  I opted not
to post judgment and have no personal stake in the different tests.

  Every test in the checkdoc code is prefixed with a comment that
specifies why the test is there, thus a quote from the manual is
there, or I wrote in "Addendum" when I added something I thought was
lacking.

  I do recommend changing the manual if you want to hack out a test
though.

  Lastly, checkdoc's original organic growth lead to some lack of
configurability.  I have a reconstituted checkdoc engine, but never
finished porting the tests.  The engine would keep every test in it's
own function, and the test selection would be customizable via a
simple list.  address@hidden offered to take that engine, and
finish porting the tests.  I don't know what the current state is.
It will be a long task though.

Eric

--
          Eric Ludlam:                 address@hidden, address@hidden