Re: address@hidden: rcs2log]

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: address@hidden: rcs2log]
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:30:55 +0100

> I suggest the following solution.  Modify the NTEmacs installation procedure
> to include the file rcs2log in the bin directory, and also include in the
> bin directory the attached file rcs2log.bat (with any modifications deemed
> appropriate), which NTEmacs can execute directly and which acts as an
> interface to rcs2log.  I have written rcs2log.bat to be as portable across
> different versions of Windows as possible, without losing the advantages of
> NT.  However, I have tested it only on Windows XP, where it seems to work
> well.

> Of course, this all assumes a suitable UNIX-like environment on the Windows
> platform, and I use Cygwin, which works well.  I think it is reasonably
> likely that anyone trying to execute the Emacs command
> `vc-update-change-log' in NTEmacs will have a suitable environment for
> executing UNIX shell scripts.

I also think it's reasonable, provided we document it somewhere... CVS
is an Unixish tool that few (if any) Windows users will have in their
environment unless they've installed it. But it'd be good to document it,
or at least talk with Steve Kemp and get it added to the Emacs Windows
FAQ.

I don't entirely like, though, the requeriment that the unix-compatible
sort be found on the PATH before any system one... I like to put
c:\bin\cygwin\bin, c:\bin\mingw\bin and the like *after*
c:\winnt\system32, c:\winnt, etc. and wouldn't like to be forced to
change that just to use rcs2log...

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u