Re: address@hidden: Re: privateColormap X resource]

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: privateColormap X resource]
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 22:28:05 +0100 (MET)

> Can someone please try testing whether the privateColormap X resource
> works in Emacs?  Here is a suggestion for how to test that;
> I would not know how to fill in the details and really do it,
> but maybe some of you know.

Yes it works for 21.1, RC and CVS.  Here is a recipe (for XFree86 at least):

Stop X.
create a file .xserverrc in your home directory with the line
  exec Xwrapper :0 -depth 8 ${1:+"$@"}

Start X.
Start some application that uses some colors, nowdays any desktop
system like Gnome qualifies :-).  Viewing a colorful image is also OK.
It may even be enough that the WM decorations are in color.

Start Emacs like this:
% emacs -xrm '*privateColormap: true'

If the colors flickers as Emacs gets and looses focus, it works.

        Jan D.