Re: Bug in shell.el: explicit-bash-args does not work for bash 1.x

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bug in shell.el: explicit-bash-args does not work for bash 1.x
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:48:02 -0500

> (let* ((prog (or (and (boundp 'explicit-shell-file-name)
> explicit-shell-file-name)
>                (getenv "ESHELL") shell-file-name))
>        (name (file-name-nondirectory prog)))
>   (if (and (equal name "bash")
>          (file-executable-p prog)
>          (string-match "bad option"
>                        (shell-command-to-string (concat prog "
> --noediting"))))
>       '("-i")
>     '("--noediting" "-i")))

I must say I don't like the idea of running a program when loadng
a .el file.  It's already done at various places, tho.

There is no strong reason, but one of the recent problem I came
across in this area is that process operations don't work properly during
dumping (the handling of sigchld is explicitly not turned on because
it can supposedly prevent unexec from working right).

That prevents byte-compiling ediff with temacs, for example, because
ediff runs `patch' (IIRC) while loading one of its .el files.

        Stefan