Re: address@hidden: Re: privateColormap X resource]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: privateColormap X resource]
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:26:29 -0500

> Can someone please try testing whether the privateColormap X resource
> works in Emacs?  Here is a suggestion for how to test that;
> I would not know how to fill in the details and really do it,
> but maybe some of you know.

This suggestion won't work because Emacs (rightly so from my point of
view) does not automatically switch to a private colormap when it
runs out of colors.  Instead it uses the closest color available,
such that the result is not quite right but is not psychedelic either.

But a long time ago Gerd said (while tracking down a
color-reference-count-overflow bug in XFree triggered by Emacs):

> In the course of cleaning up the color code a bit, I'm now setting the
> XtNcolormap resource of the shell widget.  I think the menu bar should
> inherit that colormap.  An easy way to check this if it does is to run
> Emacs with a private colormap.  Just add the resource
>
>   Emacs.privateColormap: true

There's also Emacs.visualClass.

        Stefan