Re: change in X character input processing

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: change in X character input processing
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:20:26 -0500

> I've changed the handling of character input under X to consider the
> definitions of keysyms rather than trying to decode everything for
> some locale which may be inappropriate.  Thus, for instance, my euro
> key will work in a Latin-1 environment like the pound key (and doesn't
> depend on Latin-9 support in the X libraries).

IIUC this doesn't prevent the usual Xlib decoding of keysym, but
only uses an auxiliary table x-keysym-table to map keysyms
to characters in case where Xlib failed to decode the keysym
(typically because it can't be represented in the user's
locale).

I.e. it is similar in behavior to my earlier patch which tried
Xutf8LookupString if XmbLookupString failed (except that your patch
doesn't rely on the deprecated Xutf8LookupString function or any
other extra support in Xlib for that matter).

Is that right ?

        Stefan