Re: Emacs in CVS as today does not build - emacs depends on *.elc, which

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs in CVS as today does not build - emacs depends on *.elc, which cannot be built without emacs
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:34:21 -0500

> For the make-package script in the Mac OS X, it will run make bootstrap
> if lisp/abbrev.elc is missing.
> What would be the argument(s) against adding to the root Makefile a
> dependency on a specific .elc file that would force "make bootstrap" if
> starting from scratch?  It is not "doing it right", but it seems to
> work.

The argument against it (for me anyway) is that the bootstrap
target in the Makefile does a pretty thorough `clean' before doing
its job: I don't want to have to rebuild each and every elc file just
because I happen to have deleted abbrev.elc.

But I guess this begs the question: why does the bootstrap target
do such a thorough `clean' at all ?

        Stefan