Re: xml-mode (from sgml-mode) tag skipping fix

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: xml-mode (from sgml-mode) tag skipping fix
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 11:55:41 -0500

> >> Note: Annex K "was approved by ISO's SGML technical committee on 5th
> >> December 1997" (Martin Bryan 1997, http://www.sgml.u-net.com/book/ ).
> >>
> >> Note 2: As it stands, XML is SGML.
> >
> > Can anybody translate it into English for me ?
>
> Last time I tried to explain the mysteries about SGML declarations and
> you asked for a web reference.  This time I posted such a reference:
> http://www.sgml.u-net.com/book/ -- Martin Bryan's book is worth reading.
>
> SGML documents can look very different, depending on the SGML
> declaration in use.

Sure.  I just wanted to know whether it's safe for sgml-mode
to treat <foo/> in the same way as xml-mode does.
I know that tags can use something else than < and >, but sgml-mode
doesn't try to handle those cases.
I.e. my question didn't have much to do with the SGML definition
but more with the way SGML is usually used.

        Stefan