Re: 21.2.90 pretest, 21.3, 21.4...

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 21.2.90 pretest, 21.3, 21.4...
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:05:29 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I obviously agree since I called for a feature freeze a few weeks
> (months?) back already.

IMHO, it doesn't make sense to feature-freeze the trunk unless we decide
not to release from the branch anymore.  Since there was a decision to
release 21.3 from the branch, the decision not to feature-freeze followed
almost automatically.

> I also think that 21.2 should have been taken
> from the trunk rather than from the RC branch and same thing for 21.3.

For 21.3, maybe.  But for 21.2, I disagree.  You effectively suggest to
eliminate bugfix releases, which I think would be wrong: users will have
no stable versions to rely upon.

> As Dave has explained the bug-fix release 21.3 will still be riddled with
> bugs

FWIW, I think ``riddled with bugs'' is a grave exaggeration.

> Maybe it will be a bit
> more stable from one particular point of view because it doesn't use any
> new code that might introduce new bugs, but I'm definitely not convinced
> that it outweighs the number of unfixed non-trivial bugs.

So do you really think that introduction of significant new features
doesn't destabilize Emacs?

That is, do you suggest to skip branch releases because they are not more
stable _in_principle_, or just because we are too inept to make them
significantly more stable?