Re: info invisible changes

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: info invisible changes
Date: 06 Nov 2002 18:51:15 +0900

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> >   (1) The dir file (and presumably other info menus) I have was
> >       formatted assuming that no text would be hidden, so in some cases,
> >       the invisible text results in a very wierd looking display.
>
> > * CVS client/server     Describes the
> >                                                  client/server protocol
> >                                                  used by CVS.
>
> I have added code to properly align (+2 spaces) the following description
> lines.  Please try it out.

Hmmm, well it looks _less_ bad: now the text is all in a properly-
indented, but absurdly narrow column.

I agree with Stefan that the text should be refilled in the top-level
dir node -- it's special because it contains much more hidden text than
a normal node, and looks especially bad without refilling, and also it's
not connected with a file (it's generated), so it's safe to modify.

Morever, the format of the menu entries seems regular enough that
finding the bounds required to fill/reindent; something like

  (goto-char START-OF-MENU-ENTRY-TEXT)
  (forward-sentence)
  (while (looking-at ".*\n[ \t]+[^ \t]")
    (forward-sentence))
  ;; point is now at END-OF-MENU-ENTRY-TEXT

seems to work alright.

Filling the test in the non-dir case is maybe more difficult, but
luckily that also seems to be less of a problem.

BTW, another wierd case I found is that sometimes footnotes are
followed by a newline and a then period (when obviously there should be
just a period).  For instance, in `(emacs)Glossary', I see:

--- begin quote ---
Aborting
     Aborting means getting out of a recursive edit (q.v.).  The
     commands `C-]' and `M-x top-level' are used for this.  See Quitting
.
---  end quote  ---

Thanks,

-Miles

--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?