Potential redisplay problem [Re: Recursive load of mule-util.elc]

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Potential redisplay problem [Re: Recursive load of mule-util.elc]
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:46:08 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>>  Reverting my patch to mule.el/mule-util.el I've been able to reproduce
>>  it on a RedHat 7.2.

> Hmmm, strange.  Then, perhaps, I did that reverting wrongly.
> Can you find out why that recursive loading happens?

I tried the reverting again, and this time, I could
reproduce this recursive loading.  The reason is as below:

At first, tool-bar is being autoloaded.  Then, Fload is
called, and it calls message_with_string () to show "Loading
XXX.." before starting to load a file.  This leads to
calling display_mode_element in this sequence.

message_with_string -> message3 -> message3_nolog
  -> echo_area_display -> redisplay_mode_lines ->
  -> display_mode_lines -> display_mode_element

In display_mode_element, `(mode-line-eol-desc)' is evaled,
and mule-util is being autoloaded.  This triggers the same
calling sequence above recursively and infinitely.

When you moved coding-system-eol-type-mnemonic to mule.el,
autoloading of mule-util in display_mode_element is avoided,
thus the problem is fixed.

However, this means that the current Emacs has a potential
problem.  Anything being autoloaded in display_mode_element
cause the same error.  And currently, one can attach any
code that will lead to autoloading to mode-line-format.

But, I don't know how to suppress calling
redisplay_mode_lines in this special case.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden