[cvs] bug in font-lock and/or shell-script-mode

From: Karl Chen
Subject: [cvs] bug in font-lock and/or shell-script-mode
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 23:51:16 -0800 (PST)

This bug exists in emacs HEAD 2002-11-08 and has for at least about a
month, but does not exist in 21.2.

SYnposis:

   emacs -q

   C-x C-f script.sh

   echo a#\* \* \* \* \)

   M-x font-lock-fontify-buffer

   M-x font-lock-fontify-buffer

The first fontify works fine, but the second one emits an error "Point
after end of properties". If the file was not modified (saved) before,
this will also set the modified flag for no apparent reason.  In my setup
this causes very annoying behaviour with my global-font-lock, version
control and after-rvert hooks.

I don't know what exactly about that line with the backslashes screws up
emacs' parser. For example removing one of the "\*" or changing the "\)"
will get rid of the bug. The example line given is as much as I could
reduce from a 'find' command line. This bug happens not unoften.

Regardless of whether the line is correct shell syntax or not, emacs
should not prevent you from fontifying or saving it.

--
Karl Chen / address@hidden