Re: Fix for Emacs Crash - revisited

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Fix for Emacs Crash - revisited
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:27:23 +0100

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:45:34 -0500, "Ben Key" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1.  init_user_info in w32.c has been modified so that OpenProcessToken
>     is no longer called on systems running Windows 9x.

In fact, with your patch OpenProcessToken is called *only* if the system
identifies itself as an OS_NT. Not likely to change, perhaps, but it
could break in future Windows OSes.

> I have been trying to determine why these function pointers needed to
> be reinitialized.  At first I thought that it might have something to
> do will DLL relocation, but I no longer think that after discussing
> my ideas with Glen Gordan, one of my coworkers.  He told me that when
> Windows determine that DLL relocation needs to occur, it happens
> before main gets called, not after.

My opinion is that we should research it further.  Perhpas it is some
kind of memory corruption, that your patch would hide.

It is particularly interesting that it happens only in 9x vs. XP builds.
AFAIK, Andrew's been building the binary releases on NT for quite a
while and it's never been such a problem running those releases on 9x.

It is a 21.3.50 thing or does it also happen with 21.[12] releases
and/or the RC branch?

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u